Sunday, January 2, 2011

Can't Sleep

Ok, go on ahead and slap me on the wrist because I have been AWFUL....I mean awful at keeping this blog updated. I do on a weekly basis read other blogs, but often wonder if I really have much to blog about... Or even know who even reads this thing. I'm not pregnant, so nothing to update as of anything BiG new (I've really enjoyed reading many of peoples stories about pregnancies etc... So I've wondered what I could blog about.....so I've decided, I'm going to blog about new recipes that I make because I am really getting into cooking and have found it to be something fun! I really like trying new things. The same food gets boring to me so if you ever need recipes, I'll try my best to keep this updated :) you can hold me to it!

Here is a picture of what is marinating in my fridge as we speak!

I tried to upload one but blogger won't let me upload pictures from my iPhone. Gosh iPhone get in the game!

Anyway, we will eat the pot roast for dinner and I'll put a picture of it tomorrow night!

Here is the recipy:

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Ingredients
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon (packed) golden brown sugar
1 4-pound boneless grass-fed beef chuck roast, tied
6 ounces slab bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then into 1x1/2-inch rectangles
2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
2 large onions, thinly sliced
12 small shallots, peeled
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 bay leaves
4 large carrots (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium parsnips (about 12 ounces), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small celery root, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Rub spice blend all over beef.
Cook bacon in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Transfer beef to plate. Add red wine to pot; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Add broth and bacon. Place beef atop bacon. Scatter onions, shallots, garlic, and bay leaves around beef.

Cover pot, transfer to oven, and roast 1 hour. Turn beef over; stir onions. Cover and roast 1 hour longer, adding water by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Transfer beef to plate. Add carrots, parsnips, and celery to pot; stir to coat. Place beef atop vegetables, cover, and roast until beef and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer beef to platter. Spoon off fat from surface of sauce. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over beef and serve.

Bon Appétit, February 2008


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment